I purchased the Forks Over Knives recipe app and this was the first recipe to jump out at me. If you are not familiar with the Forks Over Knives documentary I highly recommend it. It is available on Netflix. It is a short and easy watch getting right to the point of why we should be eating a plant based diet. If you are a committed meat eater is still worth the watch. The documentary isn't a vegan manifesto, it is the story of a scientific journey of how our health is a reflection of the food we eat.
The philosophy behind FOK is to eat a whole plant based foods with minimal processing. This processing is one of the reasons the diet they advocate does not include oils. When I came across this oil-free recipe I just had to give it a try. I added walnuts which is also a bit of a no-no but I couldn't resist. I like surprises.
The recipe incorporates the use of boiling water at various intervals. I am not sure what the boiling water does but the end product is worth the extra effort. More than likely the boiling water just helps mix the ingredients since there is no oil. It probably helps smooth out the cocoa powder too.
1/4c unsweetened applesauce
1/3c unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5c all purpose flour
3/4tsp baking soda
1/2c pumpkin puree
1c dry sweetner
3tbsp almond butter
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2c chocolate chips or chunks
1/4c walnuts (optional and highly recommended)
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a bread pan with parchment paper
- In one large bowl combine applesauce and cocoa powder. In another bowl sift together flour, all spices, baking soda, and salt.
- Add 1/3c of boiling water to the applesauce and cocoa powder mixture. This makes a smooth chocolate sauce to which you will then add the pumpkin, sugar/sweetner, almond butter, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Dump about 1/2 of the dry mixture into the chocolate mixture and mix. Add 1 tbsp of boiling water, mix, and then add the remaining dry mixture. Add 1 tbsp of boiling water, mix until smooth, and add the chips and walnuts.
- Spoon the delicious batter into the pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy!
Check out the Forks Over Knives Website for more information and recipes.
I also recommend:
Forks Over Knives
Forks Over Knives Meal Plan
Engine 2 Diet
The China Study